So you are interested in adding a little Dachshund to your family! There
are a few things you need to do, your Homework! You should read up on the
breed to see if this is really the right dog for you and your family! A good
book to start with is Dachshunds for Dummies, but there are a lot of good
books out there. A good resource is the Dachshund Club of America Website, http://www.dachshund-dca.org
and the AKC Website http://www.akc.org
Now if you still feel this is the dog for you, you need to find an ethical
breeder, and that can be a challenge!!!!! Go to a Dog show, talk to breeders
and ask a lot of questions. A few
good questions are:
1. How long have they been breeding,
2. how many dogs do they own,
3. where are the dogs being held,(Kennel or home environment)
4. what health problem have they encountered,
5. do they test the dogs for health problems,
6. how well are the puppies being socialized,
7. What are the health guarantees,
8. does the breeder take the dog back if there are any problems?
9. how soon does the breeder give the puppies up? (you want to wait at
least until they are 8-12 weeks old, I keep my puppies until they are 12
10. Are the puppies being Microchipped, or does the breeder recommend it!
You can ask the breeder for some references too, like their Veterinarian!
Go visit the breeder, check out the puppies and the parents. And again Ask a
lot of questions!
Watch the breeder how he interacts with his dogs and the puppies! Any
breeder that is not willing to answer all your Questions or does not let you
see the dogs in their home environment I would pass on them!
You are more than welcome to contact me and I will try to help you find
an ethical breeder!